Life Is A Gift

Life Is A Gift...

A dear friend of mine recently lost his father unexpectedly. When I first heard the news, I didn't believe it. He was too young and appeared to be in great health. This man was the same age as my father and made me realize that those we love and sometimes take for granted can be taken away from us in an instant.

I attended the services for my friend's father and it was clear that he was loved tremendously by his family and friends. There was not a dry eye in the funeral home during the service. Though I did not know my friend's father all that well, I experienced an overwhelming flood of feelings and emotions that I wasn't quite sure how to deal with.

I traveled to be with my friend during this difficult time, but when I finally got there and saw him, I was at a loss for words.

If you know me, that is a pretty rare occurrence.

I could see how upset he was, but I knew deep down that there was nothing I could say to make him feel better and make the pain go away. Sometimes just being there, being a shoulder to lean on or being a listener is all that person needs. I am happy I could be that for my friend.

When I think of my own life, it is hard to imagine it without my mom and dad. They have always been there for me - supporting and encouraging me and my dreams every step of the way. Though I am an independent 24-year-old living on my own, I still need and look to my mom and dad for support and guidance.

No comments: